At SCDA volunteers are at the heart of everything we do – without our dedicated team of volunteers, many of our services simply wouldn’t run. You find up to date volunteering opportunities further down this page, or to arrange to speak to someone and find a placement that suits you, please email [email protected]
Download a copy of our Volunteer Application Pack.
What you can expect as an SCDA Volunteer
- Offer training & ongoing support
- Welcome you and respect you
- Cover your travel expenses
- Support and listen to you
- Value your feedback
- Keep you safe and free from harm
- Be committed
- Let your coordinator know if you can’t make it to a session
- Give ample notice if you wish to stop volunteering
- Follow SCDA guidelines & policies
- Complete required training
- Respect other volunteers, staff and service users
We All Will…
- Meet regularly to discuss support and development
- Respect our own boundaries and be clear about our needs
- Follow the procedure if any problems or complaints arise
- Share a sense of community and solidarity
- Treat SCDA service users with dignity, compassion & respect
Current Volunteering Opportunities
Community Food Volunteer Driver
We have a number of volunteering roles that involve driving. From delivering food parcels, to collecting donations, to driving a minibus that helps members access the Community Supermarkets.
Some of the driving roles involve using our own vehicle, others could be done in your own car (fuel and expenses reimbursed).
If you could help on a regular basis or are happy to be on a ‘stand-by’ list in case we need someone to fill-in, please contact [email protected]
Community Supermarket Volunteer
As a volunteer at Newhaven Community Supermarket you will be a welcoming and friendly asset to our team. Your main responsibilities will be to organise food donations, support clients to make food choices and to keep the space looking good. Some cash handling may also be involved. This role requires a commitment of around four hours per week, although this may vary. For more information see the role description Community Supermarket Volunteer or email [email protected]
Our shop provides useful income for our community projects as well as a friendly space for people to meet up and to volunteer. If you would like to volunteer for a few hours a week or even just now and again, we would like to hear from you! Please contact Eve Collins on 01273 514139 or email [email protected]
Opportunities outside Newhaven
For volunteering opportunities at Willingdon Trees Community Centre in Eastbourne please visit their website.
For volunteering opportunities with community food projects across Lewes District please visit the Lewes District Food Partnership website.