SCDA is working with partners across the County to help ensure that there is clear coordination of support for people and communities where it is needed in light of the current COVID 19 crisis. For up to date national and regional advice and guidance please see the links to advice and guidance at the bottom of this page.
What is Making it Happen about?
Making it Happen is about discovering, celebrating and building on the positive things in our local neighbourhoods. We are here to support communities to come together, make the most of the opportunities and create positive change.
The ABC’s of Making it Happen:
Acting on what matters
Believing in better
We use an Asset Based approach to working with communities:
‘Asset-based community development begins with the gifts of people and their capacity to organize to create the world they want to see’ (ABCD Institute).”
What are we doing?
We believe that everyone has skills and talents to offer their community. When these skills and talents are shared, the community thrives and becomes stronger.
Local people are coming together to:
- Share stories & celebrate successes
- Work together to improve their local environment
- Take positive action to create healthier communities
We can help by:
- Supporting people to tell their stories
- Connecting groups, spaces and opportunities that already exist
- Working with people to find strengths, build confidence & add more to their community
- Awarding small grants to kick start an idea
Who will be working in your neighbourhood?
Five organisations will be working in 16 areas across the county. These areas have been chosen because while they may face some challenges, there are also an abundance of strengths and opportunities.
Sussex Community Development Association will be working with communities in Newhaven Valley, Peacehaven West and Peacehaven North East in Lewes District.
To find out more about the team, the project, what we’ll be doing and for more about Small Sparks Grants contact Hannah Sherman on:
- 07920 526224
- Facebook: SCDA Community Support
Click on the links below for a link to Making it Happen partners covering Wealden, Rother, Hastings and Eastbourne:
- Contact Action in Rural Sussex to find out more about activity in Wealden: Uckfield North, Crowborough East, Polegate and Hailsham East.
- Contact Rother Voluntary Action to find out more about activity in Rother: Central and Sackville, Eastern Rother, St Michaels and Sidley.
- Contact Hastings Voluntary Action to find out more about activity in Hastings: Greater Hollington and Castle.
- Contact 3VA to find out more about activity in Eastbourne: Shinewater, Hampden Park East and Willingdon Trees.
Let’s continue to Make it Happen!
COVID 19 Information, advice and guidance
For up to date national and regional advice and guidance please use the following links:
Local Advice and Guidance on Voluntary and Community Groups and Volunteering
If you’re running or keen to set up a local support group, there are some great top tips to follow here: Brighton and Hove Community Works